For a few years, I’ve promoted the idea of reading the entire Bible as quickly as possible. I’ve made it my annual practice beginning on New Year’s Day for 6 years now, and it shows no sign of slowing.
What do I get out of the practice?
- It helps me grasp the overall story of the Bible.
- It reminds me the Bible is a work of literature.
- It gets me through the difficult parts more easily.
- It heightens my anticipation for Christ.
Now I have some more reasons to offer you, courtesy of Jordan Standridge:
- It caused me to understand that I exist for the purpose of glorifying God.
- It caused me to believe in the absolute sovereignty of God.
- It caused me to see that the sovereign God of Scripture was sovereign over my personal life as well.
- It was clear that God called His people to stick out from the world.
- It showed me that I am totally depraved.
- It showed me that people need God.
Standridge writes of his experience reading the entire Bible quickly in an article at The Cripplegate. Check it out!