This article at Relevant Magazine lists 9 simple things anyone and everyone should do when reading the Bible.
- Read “king” when you see “Christ.”
- Read “you” differently (it’s usually plural, not singular).
- If you see a “therefore,” find out what it’s there for.
- Realize that not all “if” statements are the same.
- Recognize that lamenting is OK.
- Realize that prophecy is more often FORTH-telling than FORE-telling.
- Become familiar with the idioms of your king.
- Remember what you learned in English class.
- Read to study. But also, read to refresh your heart.
These are great tips. On the first point, I suggest reading “the Chosen One” instead of “King,” but the article’s general point is sound: “Christ” is a title and not just Jesus’ last name.